Chicken Noodle Soup
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour and 40 minutes
Homemade broth ingredients
- 1.8kg whole chicken
- 1 garlic head, cut in half horizontally
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- 2 onions, peeled and cut into ¼
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
- 4 thyme sprigs or
- 1½ tsp dried thyme leaves
- 9-10 cups water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, cut in ¼ and then chopped
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 cups shredded chicken, from broth
- 2l homemade chicken broth
- 200g egg noodles or pasts of choice
- 2-3tbsp stock powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- Parsley, finely chopped for garnish
- Place the chicken in a large pot. Add remaining Broth ingredients, then add enough water so the chicken is just covered (too much water = weak broth).
- Cover with lid, bring the water to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Then adjust heat so it’s simmering GENTLY with the lid on. Simmer 1.5 hours until chicken is tender and easily comes off the bone. (Or 8 hours on low in a slow cooker). Scoop scum off surface once or twice during first 30 minutes. Transfer chicken to pan. Shred meat and discard bones.
- Remove carrots, celery etc from broth, and discard. Optional: Chop carrot and celery, add back into soup with chicken.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium meat. Add onion and garlic, cook for 2 minutes. Add celery and carrots, cook for 5 minutes until softened and a bit sweet, don’t let them brown.
- Turn heat up to medium high. Gently pour 8 cups broth in (top up with water if necessary), leaving behind residue settled in the bottom of the broth pot. Add Vegeta (stock powder), thyme, bay leaf and pepper. Stir.
- When it starts bubbling, add noodles/pasta. Cook for time per packet MINUS 2 minutes. Stir gently only once or twice. Add chicken, stir (it warms quickly), then season with salt and pepper to taste – season well! and serve.